2 tablespoons olive oil
2 white onions, sliced
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon plus 1? teaspoons salt, divided
3 cups all-purpose flour
11 large egg yolks
4 large eggs, divided
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup English peas, steamed until tender
1 cup thinly sliced baby carrots, steamed until tender
Carrot Noisette Sauce (recipe follows)
Garnish: Vadouvan Crunch (recipe follows), carrot top leaves
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Set aside.
2. In a medium saute pan, heat canola oil and 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper over low heat for 5 minutes. Let stand until cool. Strain oil through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. Use within 2 weeks.
3. Preheat oven to 375°.
4. In a large bowl, combine carrot, 1/4 cup olive oil, cumin and 1 tablespoon salt. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Let stand until cool, and transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1-inch tip.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, beat flour, yolks, 3 eggs, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt at medium speed for 5 minutes. Transfer to a heavily floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup water and remaining 1 egg. On a heavily floured surface, roll dough to 1/16-inch thickness. Divide dough in half and brush 1 half with egg wash. Pipe carrot filling by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on dough with egg wash. Place remaining dough on top, and press each piece of filling with a 1-inch round cutter. With a 2-inch round cutter, cut ravioli and place on a floured sheet tray. Refrigerate until ready to cook. Ravioli may be frozen in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags. Do not thaw before cooking.
7. In a large saute pan, melt butter over low heat. Add caramelized onions, peas and sliced baby carrots, cook for 1 minute.
8. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add ravioli in batches and cook for 2 minutes. Add ravioli to pan with onion mixture. Add 1 cup pasta cooking water and stir gently until combined.
9. Divide ravioli among 10 serving plates and top with Carrot Noisette Sauce. Garnish with Vadouvan Crunch and carrot top leaves and drizzle with chile oil, if desired.